- 10½-inch Skillet
- Chef’s Knife
- Slotted Spoon (6-piece Kitchen Tool Set)
- 2-quart Mixing Bowl
- 1½ pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 cup large yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Serrano peppers, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoons chili powder (American chili)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 to 14½ ounce) can ready-to-serve fat-free beef broth
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 6 tablespoons “añejo” cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup Crunchy Tortilla Strips
With the Chef’s Knife, chop onions, garlic and Serrano peppers. Preheat the 10½-inch Skillet at medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add ground beef and brown from 5 to 7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Remove from skillet with Slotted Spoon and place it in 2-quart Mixing Bowl. Pour off drippings.
In the same skillet, add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add chili powders, cumin, oregano, and salt; cook and stir 2 minutes.
Return beef crumbles to skillet. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, adobo sauce, and chipotle peppers. Cover and leave Redy-cook valve open. When the valve whistles, reduce heat to low and close valve; let it simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover skillet; continue simmering 10 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency. Serve topped with cheese and Crunchy Tortilla Strips.