We love a healthy, delicious recipe and these quinoa cakes with greek yogurt avocado sauce are so tasty!
Did you know that quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
We have two tips for cooking these quinoa patties.
First is to have a large spatula that can go under the entire patty. Make your patties small enough to fit your flipper. Fish spatula’s work really well. These quinoa cakes are delicate like fish.
The second trick is to push the patty down into the pan to compact it a little more. Make sure your heat is up to medium-high so you get the nice browned crisp edges and only flip once.
We love the crisp edges of the pan fried quinoa cake paired with the chewy center and sweet creamy avocado sauce! This recipe is definitely delicious!
We topped our cakes with fresh and peppery arugula. It’s a perfect green to go with this dish and it’s readily available and most grocery stores.
Another tip for this recipe is to dice the bell peppers smaller than you would normally, this will help the patties to stay together.
Quinoa Cakes with Greek Yogurt Avocado Sauce
- 2 cups garlic quinoa
- 3 Cups of water
- ½ Cup small chopped red peppers
- ½ Cup small chopped green peppers
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Cup micro greens, or arugula
- 1 Cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 Tsp fresh minced garlic
- S & P to taste
- Turn heat to medium high; in a 2 quart sauce pan add quinoa and 3 cups of water. Put lid on with Redy-cook valve open, wait for whistle, about 4 minutes. Close Redy-cook valve, turn heat down to medium low and cook for an additional 7 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat and place in a bowl, set aside and let cool.
- To make yogurt avocado sauce, add all ingredients to the Royal vortex, or a blender and pulse 4 times. You want a nice creamy smooth sauce
- To make the quinoa patties, combine the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell peppers, eggs, garlic, black pepper and salt. Thoroughly stir and form into 8 patties.
- In the 10.5” skillet, turn heat to medium high, add coconut oil; let oil heat up for 2 minutes. Turn heat down to medium. Add quinoa patties and cook on each side for 3 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- On a plate layer quinoa patty, Greek yogurt avocado sauce and micro greens.