- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In the 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Use a wooden spoon and cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
- Do not stir from this point on. Instead swirl the liquid around the sauce pan from time to time using the handle so that the caramel doesn’t burn.
- Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color. Remove from heat and let stand for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Be careful here, pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot.
- Stir the mixture with a spatula scraping the sides of the pot and combining all the ingredients, again be careful.
- Add the butter and stir until combined. As you stir you will see the caramel come to the consistency that you want and looks like caramel! Let cool for a few minutes before putting it in any container. This recipe makes about 1 1/4 cups.