- 5-quart Mixing Bowl
- 12-inch Gourmet Skillet
- Chef’s Knife
- 12-quart Stock Pot with Cover
- 2 pounds corn flour
- ½ pound sour cream
2 egg whites
- 1 pound dry cheese, shredded (Cotija)
- 9 cups water (approximately)
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 16¼ cups water
- 7 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 big onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon annatto powder
- Salt to taste
Procedure for the Dough:
- In the 5-quart Mixing Bowl, mix corn flour, cream, egg whites, and shredded cheese with approximately 9 cups water.
- Knead as if you were making bread. Let dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the dough is ready, use ¾ of it to make patties or rings (about 35-40 total).
Procedure for the Soup:
- Preheat oil in the 12-inch Gourmet Skillet for about 4 minutes at medium-high heat. Reduce temperature to medium-low and carefully fry 8-9 patties/rings at a time, for about 4 minutes per side. To absorb excess oil, place patties/rings over a plate covered with paper towel. Repeat until you have fried them all.
- Using the Chef’s Knife, cut onion and tomato as directed.
- In the 12-quart Stock Pot, boil 16 cups water at medium-high heat, with the cover on and the Redy-cook valve open. In the mean time, blend tomato and onion with ¼ cup water. When the valve whistles (in about 20 minutes), put in and dissolve remaining dough. Add tomato and onion mixture, annatto powder and salt to taste; stir.
- Add fried patties or rings, and cover with the valve open. When it whistles (in about 8-10 minutes), reduce temperature to medium-low, close the valve, and cook for 12 more minutes without mixing.
- Serve with dough patties/rings.
Chef’s Tip: Make sure you invite guests over or want leftovers, this recipes serves 10 to 12!