Old Glory Star cupcakes
Celebrate America’s birthday with our red white and blue star cupcakes. They will add the sparkle and shine to your 4th of July table. We love how easy and fun these wonderful star cupcakes were to make and how easy they are to tote along to a picnic or barbecue.
So what are you waiting for let’s get started and make a batch of red white and blue cupcakes or two or three!
•1 box white cake mix and all the ingredients the cake mix calls for
•Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers – you can find this brand at Walmart in the baking isle.
•Star cookie cutter – Medium
•Sheet cake baking pan
•Red & navy blue food coloring – we got ours in the baking isle at our craft store. Be sure it is suitable for using in chocolate.
1. Prepare the cake mix according to the directions. Pour cake mix into a prepare sheet cake pan and bake according directions for cupcakes. Watch your cake as it bakes. We started checking ours 8 minutes before the timer went off. Ours was done 3 minutes before the timer went off. Let the cake cool completely.
2. Cover a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set your cupcakes on this ready for decorating.
Spray your star cookie cutter with a non stick cooking spray. 3. Carefully and evenly press the cookie cutter down through the cake. We cut several stars and then used a thin pancake spatula to remove the stars from the pan.
4. Melt your chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Stir consistently until smooth and melted. Don’t let your water boil. Be very cautious not to let any water get into your chocolate as well. This will seize up the chocolate.
5. Divide the white chocolate into thirds in 3 bowls. Leaving one third white; add red food coloring to another third and blue to another. Add the food coloring in small amount to achieve the desired color, you don’t want to overdue with the color.
6. Add each color to a piping bag or gallon size plastic bag. The easiest way we have found to get the chocolate into the plastic bags is to take a large tall glass, place the bag in the glass and drape the sides of the bag over the edge of the glass. This allows for easy pouring of the chocolate into the bag.
7. seal the bag up and snip a very small end off one of the corners of the bag. Begin to drizzle the chocolate over the star cupcakes. Add one layer of color at a time. Enjoy and have fun.